Monday, March 7, 2011

It's Been One Week

If you have been reading my blog then you are aware that I am hockey official. I ref and lines a lot of hockey. One thing that really grinds my gears is when people tell at the officials to "get outta the way!". If you don't know what I mean here is quick little description. When a player doesn't pay attention to where he/she is shooting the puck and hits the ref. Most people think the ref is always in the wrong.

Here is something to think about. Players have a lot more equipment on than refs. The average player will be wearing the following for protection.
-Skates
-Shin Pads
-Pants
-Cup
-Gloves
-Shoulder Pads
-Elbow Pads
-Neck Guard
-Helmet
-Full Cage/Half Visor

While the average ref will only wear a few things.
-Skates
-Shin Pads
-Cup
-Elbow Pads
-Helmet
-Half Visor

Some refs don't wear shin pads, a cup, or elbow pads. So when people think we get in the way on purpose I pose this question, Why do we want to get hit with a piece or frozen vulcanized rubber?

To prove my point I have been documenting what happens to a ref when they get hit.

  Sunday Feb. 28. The night I was hit by a puck.
Tuesday March 1.

Wednesday March 2.

Thursday March 3.

Friday March 4.

Sunday March 6.


No ref WANTS to get hit by a puck. Remember when you see a ref fall down, get hit by a puck, body checked into the boards it hurts. We are wearing less protective equipment than the players.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything you don't need to know

My photo
I'm on air every weekday from Noon-6:00 PM. This blog is chance for you to enjoy your little bit of daily randomness!! I post anything I find interesting and random. Sit back click away and enjoy randomness!!